Sunday, March 28, 2010

Mars Volta, The

I've been listening to this band for almost a straight month now. Oddly enough I listened to them since their debut but now I can't stop. I guess they fit the mood somehow! They are labelled as experimental rock (progressive, jazz, hard rock). I don't particularly care for labels and styles in music so to me it's rock and roll (baby!) I've been wondering why I loved these guys and it must be because simply they blend perfectly more hard rock-ish moments with calm jazzy moments. Cedric Bixler-Zavala's lyrics wraps it all up perfectly for me: they make very little sense at first which forces the listener to find meaning. Often I'm just amazed at the drums, bass and guitars in the songs. Saw them live once and wish to see them again soon... although the chances of them coming to Seoul are slim. Five studio albums in six years and apparently countless songs stored in hard drives somewhere. These guys are inspired to say the least!
Youtube : Toazted.com interview part 1, Toazted.com interview part 2, Toazted.com interview part 3
Youtube: Henry Rollins show - Tetragrammaton part 1, part 2


De-loused in the Comatorium (2003)
Their first album and probably the best one to start listening if new to the band. 8.5/10

Frances the Mute (2005)
Their second album with three of my favorite songs from them: l'via l'viasquez, Cassandra Geminni and Tarantism. 9/10

They just keep albums rolling! This one for some reason I did not listen to until now and I wonder why I did not appreciate it the first time. The almost 17 minutes long Tetragrammaton is worth a listen! 8/10

Bedlam in Goliath, The (2008)
Probably their heaviest sounding record and wow what a treat. Yet again they manage to blend in jazzy elements with more hardcore moments. Brilliant. 9/10


Their most commercial effort up to date. You have to listen to Cotopaxi especially the drumming! Very heavy and straight to the point, which is good once in a while! 8/10

No comments: