Monday, March 8, 2010

Finally a post!

Been a while! Well I should've posted my pics of Taipei by now on Facebook or here but it's too tiring to select the best ones so it will have to wait! For now I'll say that Taipei rocked. I'd like to say that Taiwan rocks but I just basically had time to visit the capital city and a nice little village near it called Wulai. So I'll come back to this later. Let's just say that the temperature was crazy (around 29-32) and Taipei is more opened to the world than Seoul (well in the case of Taiwan they don't really have a choice for political reasons). Yet it's clearly Chinese and although I haven't been to communist China, I know that I've experienced Chinese culture at least once :)

Recent movies seen:
Precious (US-2009) - extremely harsh subject, cliche by times, but the director/writer did an amazing job of at least putting on the table a wide variety of social problems in the US right now and it opens up the ground for discussion. The movie goes from bad to worse and then some! But it's somewhat optimistic in the end...

Mother (Kor-2009) - this is my favorite movie since a while now. I'll write more about it later on - I did not finish my analysis!

Fish Story (Jap-2009) - incredibly absurd story spanning a couple of generations with the band behind a song called Fish Story as common thread. Basically a comet will hit earth in the present time and a record shop owner plays the Fish Story album. Common thread is exposed. The story is so crazy you have to just see it! One of the weirdest movies I've seen in a while; but weird in a good way!

---

Saw Hurt Locker, was ok but Oscar worthy? let's relax here... wow! Hollywood lost it big time! Politrics win the day.

No comments: