Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Rome - 1

First of all some delay in Montreal because of freezing rain and\or snow. Then Amsterdam - nothing to talk about really. I think Dutch are tall people! Rome, Rome, Rome - why are you so angry? Damn I go to two currency exchange counters and both are angry, then we have have this guy trying to almost bully us into getting on a bus to our hotel for 30 euros (hello it costs 16 euros to take the train to our hotel). Then another currenct exchange counter with some guy really insulting the woman at the counter and of course me being the next customer she's angry at me. By the way I've never seen such high exchange rates in my life - screwing people 101. Good job guys, Of course it's my fault - should've changed money in another country than Italy!
Then we take the train to the nearest station near our hotel. All goes well on the train - except of course when I bought the tickets: the man at the counter was of course angry for now reasons: slamming the tickets and the change on the counter without saying a word. Sorry dude for not talking Italian because I honestly don't know why you're giving me attitude.
Then from the inter-regional train station we took quite a while to find the hotel - of course not indication whatsoever of the hotel name on the building. At least the hotel is reallly nice: modern and clean with good price. We have a big balcony but useless in this Roman winter weather.
We went to the a family restaurant around the hotel. Funny thing is the restaurants schedule: Romans apparently go to eat around 19:30 and I think restaurants close from 16:00 to 19:30 (something like that). So strange. Korean would be unhappy and even Canadians. So before dinner and because we had time we went to a really cool café (with DJ!) to drink the best caffé latté and a pretty good sandwich. Then we walked and found a family restaurant that was deserted at 19:30, The waiter was really nice to us and we had a great dinner - 1 liter of wine for 7 euros: super cheap! Good pomodoro spaghetti, veal and apetizers including squid!
Let's see what tomorrow will bring. We are right next to the subway so it's good for that.

No comments: